Dealing with a disability can be challenging, and the process of obtaining disability benefits can be complex and overwhelming. Many individuals turn to disability lawyers for assistance. Before seeking legal representation, we recommend clients research how much disability lawyers charge and the factors that influence their fees.
In this blog post, we will explore the key aspects of disability lawyer fees and shed light on the factors that determine the cost of legal representation.
The Importance of Disability Lawyers
When facing disability-related legal matters, having a disability lawyer by your side increases your chances of a successful outcome. Disability lawyers help claimants navigate complex laws and regulations surrounding disability benefits. They protect claimants and present their claims thoroughly.
Understanding How Disability Lawyers Charge
Disability lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means their fees are contingent on winning your case or securing disability benefits for you. In such cases, the lawyer’s fee is 25% of the retroactive benefits received via the lump sum awarded to you. In addition, fees cannot exceed $7,200. Using this example, if a disability lawyer earns the maximum fee of $7,200, the lump sum to the claimant would be $28,800 or greater.
And, they would receive ongoing continuing monthly payments. For 2023, the maximum payment a claimant can receive from the SSA is $3,627 monthly in SSDI benefits.
Benefits of Hiring a Disability Lawyer
While disability lawyer fees may seem daunting, the advantages of hiring a disability lawyer can often outweigh the costs. Here are a few benefits of working with a disability lawyer:
- Legal Expertise: Disability lawyers possess a deep understanding of the complex laws and regulations governing disability benefits. They can navigate the intricate processes, help gather the necessary evidence, and present your case convincingly.
- Increased Chances of Success: By leveraging their experience and knowledge, disability lawyers significantly enhance your chances of securing disability benefits or winning your case. They know how to strengthen your claim and address potential challenges.
- Reduced Stress and Time Investment: The disability application and appeals process can be time-consuming and overwhelming. By hiring a disability lawyer, you can alleviate the burden and focus on your health and well-being while the legal aspects are handled professionally.
Making an Informed Decision
When hiring a disability lawyer, it is essential to conduct thorough research and make an informed decision. Keep the following points in mind:
- Consultation: Many disability lawyers including our Winston-Salem disability lawyers offer free initial consultations. Take advantage of these consultations to discuss your case, evaluate the lawyer’s expertise, and inquire about their fees and fee structures.
- Fee Agreements: Before hiring a disability lawyer, ensure that you have a clear understanding of the fee agreement. Review the terms, payment schedule, and any additional expenses that may be involved.
- Consider the Cost-Benefit Ratio: Assess the potential benefits of hiring a disability lawyer against the fees charged. If your case is complex, the chances of success are high, or you are struggling with the application process, the investment in legal representation may be worthwhile.
Understanding how much disability lawyers charge and the factors influencing their fees is crucial when considering legal representation for disability-related matters. While fees can vary, it’s essential to weigh the potential benefits of hiring a disability lawyer against the costs involved.
This content is provided by the Winston-Salem disability lawyers at Collins Price, PLLC. If you are unable to work due to severe and persistent mental or physical health conditions, contact us today for a free consultation on your disability claim. We help claimants at every stage of the process from initial application to hearing and through the appeals process for denied claims.